Pelé undergoes hip replacement surgery
Brazil legend Edson Arantes Do Nascimento "Pelé" has undergone hip replacement surgery in Sao Paulo after complaining of pain in the area for some time.
The 72-year-old was hospitalized in the Albert Einstein Hospital after originally attending an appointment for routine tests as a way of renewing his health insurance.
His advisor Jose Ovens revealed that the surgery had been successful and it was likely that the three-time World Cup winner would be discharged on Wednesday.
"Everything went very well. It was a very simple surgery. He will probably be discharged tomorrow," he told Brazilian media.
Dr Roberto Dantas Queiroz, who was responsible for the procedure, said the former Santos and New York Cosmos star would remain in a wheelchair during his initial recovery stage. According to Queiroz, the joint's damage had largely been caused by years of wear and tear suffered during the Brazilian's playing career.
Pele featured in three World Cup-winning teams for Brazil and scored 1281 goals in a career spanning more than two decades.
Pelé will be hoping to be back on his feet soon as he continues travelling the world and promoting the 2014 World Cup in his home country.
Pelé will be hoping to be back on his feet soon as he continues travelling the world and promoting the 2014 FIFA World Cup in his home country.
Pelé's Final Match - New York Cosmos v Santos
Information for this page gathered from these sites: